1. weary – tired
2. induce – attract
3. crisp – fresh
4. exotic – unusual
5. alleviate – ease
6. update – modernize
7. utterly – completely
8. profile – description
9. discriminate – distinguish
10. asylum– protection
11. layout– arrangement
12. peep– look
13. raninto – hit
14. hollow – empty
15.evoked – refreshed
第二部分 阅读判断 In sports, Red is the winning color
16. BothHill and Barton wanted to find out if color affects the outcomes of sportsmatches.
相关句：They (Hill and Barton) …reachedthe conclusion by studying the outcomesof boxing…
The outcomes 回应上文中提到的“theteam dressed in red is more likely to win”
17. Hilland Barton are both interested in primates(灵长目).
相关句：Hill and Barton got the ideafor the study from a mutual in`terest in primates.
18. Malemandrills use yellow coloration toattract a mate.
相关句：Redcoloration gives males an advantage when it comes to mating.
19. Redis not an advantage for Zebra finches(斑胸草雀).
相关句：Scientists put red plasticrings on the legs of male Zebra females, whichincreased the bird’s success in finding a mate.
20. Thered plastic rings were left on the finches permanently.
21. Hilland Barton believe athletes in red are more likelyto win.
相关句：Across a range of sports, wefind that wearing red is consistently associated with a higher probability of winning.
22. Many athletes oppose the new regulations on sportuniforms.
相关句：the discovery of red’sadvantage might lead to new regulations on sports uniforms.
第三部分 How technology pushes down price
23．E technologyhelps reduce food prices
24. C bigger supermarketsoffer lower prices
25. B. Huge retailers force producersto cut costs
26．F． food comes cheaper in larger portions
27. Big supermarkets can offer food at lower pricesbecause they can buy ___.
答案为E: in bulk = in large quantities
28. Some forced producers have reduced ___
29．Besides cutting its cost,Unilever also abandoned its ____
30．Buyers like big portionsbecause they think they have got ___.
答案为A。a good bargain = a better deal
第四部分 阅读理解 #p#分页标题#e#
Passage one Going her own way
31. Maria wanted to attend a ____.
答案为C. technical high school.
32. In those days, most Italian girls ___.
答案为B. didn’t go to high school.
33. Maria’s father probably ___.
答案为B. had a traditional view about women.
34. High school teachers in Italy in those days were very ___.
35. We can infer from this passage that __
答案为D. Maria was a girl of strongwill
Passage two DNAtesting
36. What’s is the main idea of this passage?
答案为C: DNA testing has played akey role in criminal investigation.
相关句（文章最后两句）：But for those whose innocence has been proven and who are now free man, DNAtesting has meant nothing less than a return to life. And with the careful use of DNA testing,no innocent person should ever be convicted again.
37．DNA testing wasfirst used in a criminal case by ___.
答案为C. police in great Britain
相关句：the very first use of DNAtesting in a criminal case wasin 1985 in great Britain.…because police hadfound samples of the killer’s DNA …
38. The Innocence Projectuses DNA testing to ___.
答案为A. set free innocentprisoners
相关句：in 1992, two law professors,decided to use DNA evidence to help set free such mistakenly convictedprisoner. They created a organization called the innocence project.
39. Some studentsin Northwestern University____.
答案为C. proved some prisoners werenot guilty.
相关句：The students (at Northwestern University)proved that in fact the prisoners were not guilty of the crime they had beenaccused of.
40. What is the author’s attitude towards DNA testing?
Passage three Gross(adj. 总的) national happiness
1． Who was Wangchuck?
相关句（第一段）：…anew ruler called king Wangchuck…
2. Apart from modernization modernizing Bhuta, whatelse did Wangchuck want to do for Bhuta?
答案为A. keep its traditions and customs.
相关句：Wangchuck decided to helpBhuta to become modern, but without losing itstraditions.
3. A country shows its progress with GNPby ___.
答案为C. selling more products
相关句：The GNP measures products and money. When thenumber of products sold increases people say the country is making progress.
4. According to GNH, people are happier ifthey ___.
答案为D. have a good stablegovernment
5. Today many countries are ___.
答案为B. trying to find their ownways to measure happiness.
相关句：Many countriesare interested in Hutan’s GNH. These countriesare investigating their own ways to measure happiness.
第五部分 补全短文 The mysteries of Nazca #p#分页标题#e#
1. 答案为A.seen from the ground, it looks like linesscratched into the earth.
解析：It 指代空格上文中的：oneof the most unusual artworks
2. 答案为:A Swiss(瑞士) writer named Erich wrotethat Nazca lines were designed as alanding place for UFOs.
解析： the Nazca lines 回应空格上文中的lines
3. 答案为C. Hecalled Nazca “the largest astronomy bookin the world”.
解析：He 回指空格上文中的anAmerican explorer Paul
Astronomy 回应空格上文中的stars, planets
4．F. The largest pictures may have been the sites forspecial ceremonies.
5．B. Other scientists are now searching for evidence to prove this.
解析：other scientists 与空格上文中的twoscientists 呼应
The old gate
1. A. defensive
2. D. diseases
3. A. demolished
4. A. but
5. C. actual
6. A. borders
7. A. down
9. B. maintain
10. D. intension
11. D. preservation
12. B. mean
14. B. chance
15. A. job